That incomplete sentence about a thing.
Just found this video. I think this guy get’s it. He’s vegan too. Cool beans.
“My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world.”
The 2013 Child Poverty Report Card found child poverty in British Columbia has increased 4.3 per cent since last year’s numbers. But the increase is much larger for single mothers, whose poverty rates increased almost 30 per cent in one year to 49.8 per cent, the highest poverty rate for any persons or family type in B.C. […]
Other statistics outlined in the report:
- B.C.’s child poverty rate is 5.3 per cent higher than the national average;
- Half of the province’s poor children, about 77,000, live in the province’s Lower Mainland;
- Poverty for two parent families increased to 14 per cent from 11.6 per cent in 2011;
- Sixty per cent of kids in poverty lived with two parent families, 36 per cent with single moms, and four per cent in other family arrangements, including single parent dads;
- Just over 31 per cent of kids living in poverty had at least one parent working full-time all year;
- Only 31 per cent of B.C. families were lifted out of poverty by government transfers, the lowest number in the province. In contrast 52 per cent of Quebec families are helped out of poverty by government transfers.The report has 16 recommendations for change for the provincial and federal governments. These include:
- Raising the minimum wage to $12/hour and indexing it to the cost of living;
- Raising welfare rates to the after-tax low-income cut off line, also indexing them to cost of living;
- Restoring unearned income exemptions to families on income and disability assistance for child support;
- Increasing the Child Tax Benefit to $5,500 per child;
- Adopting the $10/day childcare program;
- Creating a tax commission whose mandate includes reducing income inequality;
- Increasing low-income housing stock.
How could this happen with a single mother family first premiere such as we have? Perhaps it has to do with the fact they don’t care to help anyone but themselves and their rich friends. I do not know how they won the last election, I am still suspicious that they could have cheated but I have no idea. BC needs to do something about this, and the people of this province need to open their eyes and realize how corrupt the BC “Liberal” party is.
Sign this petition, to be used as part of an upcoming appeal, asking for clemency for Chelsea Manning
Rich white people like Trey Radel and Rob Ford don’t wind up in jail for their crimes. Rob Ford is still stumbling around city hall. This system is broken, but sadly it was designed this way.
Raise your fist and march around, just don’t take what you need
I want to learn french. Input?
I’m interested in learning french, I live in Canada, and am hoping to travel across the country within the next few years. I think it would be helpful to be able to speak french when I am in Quebec, as well as a good skill to have overall and good brain exercise for me to learn a new language… I’m planning on using DuoLingo, or possibly Rosetta Stone that my cousin has… I’m not sure about Rosetta Stone, but DuoLingo has a course on French, but not specifically Quebec French. I was wondering if someone could tell me how hard it will be to transition from one to the other, if I learn French, and then to pickup the differences while in Quebec?